Practical Leadership Tips 2
Practical Tips from Business and Public Leaders 2
Essential Leadership and Management for Engineers
Practical Leadership Tips 2: Alignment to Business Plans...
Leadership Tips - Strategy and Plans
- As a leader set a strategy and direction for the team. Then
explain to people as clearly as you can what their objectives are and what
the team’s goals are. Then get out of the way, but be available should
they need support.
- As a leader, when you are in charge of everything from the vision
thing to something mundane and practical, the adrenaline and the
butterflies in your stomach make rather an extraordinary mix.
- Leadership is about trying to set a strategy that fits your
company culture. Gaining trust is key to making this happen.
- Effective leaders manage their time well and that of their teams,
so as to be as productive as possible
- Get into the habit of prioritising, taking the toughest tasks
first and gaining satisfaction and momentum as a result, to prepare you
for the next task.
- Good documentation and note taking often help leaders stay
organised and sharp. Aim to make this second nature.
Practical Leadership Tips 2: You've Got to Let Them Know...
- Be very straightforward and keep things simple. Avoid the tendency
to overcomplicate things.
- You have to be good and articulate with all levels of people
throughout the business.
- The best leaders are absolutely clear about the scope and purpose
of the project. If you can articulate this with clarity, then empower
people to get on with it – that’s the essence of strong leadership.
- You need to be firm, yet fair. Give clear instructions and
- It pays to be polite and respectful to everyone, whatever their
Practical Leadership Tips 2: Knowing Where You Are Going...
- Leaders set a clear direction and make sure people not only
understand it, but also understand their part within it.
- With leadership you learn it’s about clarity and direction and
making people believe they want to follow you. Clarity of mind correlates
with people feeling good about what they do.
- Lead from the front and give clear instruction.
- Don’t ask people to do too many things at one time.
Practical Leadership Tips 2: Don't Do It All Yourself...
- Delegation requires trusting people you can work with. Without
delegation you won’t get things done and you won’t develop people.
- Hire the right people and create a culture in which those people
- A company culture of treating people with respect and dignity is
Practical Leadership Tips 2: It's All About The Choices You Make...
- Decision Making
- Whilst it is important to have a conscious, learn not to torture
yourself about tough decisions.
- Leaders have to think quickly on their feet. Your team will
quickly ask you ‘what are we going to do now?’
- Consider the people you are leading when thinking about where you
want to go.
- Ideally leaders should be free to make their decisions without
having to go through bureaucratic processes.
- Consult your team, particular on aspects that will impact them and
in areas where they possess more knowledge. However as a leader, be
prepared to make the final decision.
- People need to know you are prepared to take the tough decisions,
as well as the exciting, uplifting stuff.
Practical Leadership Tips 2
Tips from Business and Public Leaders 3
Back to Essential Leadership and Management Skills
For you, what are the qualities of a Great Engineering Leader?
Have you come across highly effective engineering managers and inspirational leaders? Are you one?!
Describe the qualities you think set the best apart from the rest. What practical tips and styles get the best results?
Share your story...and receive a FREE copy of our report 'Helping Your Manufacturing Business Thrive'...PS: Feel free to name-drop your firm! There's nothing wrong with a bit of free publicity!